Check out the latest in deals, development and disruptive technology in the data center industry for October 15, 2019:
- QTS Expands Commitment to Carrier Neutrality With Telia Carrier in Atlanta Metro Data Center: QTS Realty Trust has announced that Telia Carrier, owner and operator of the world’s #1 ranked global Internet backbone, has upgraded their network presence in QTS’ Atlanta Metro mega data center. Telia Carrier is the top ranked global IP backbone, with customers in more than 120 countries, operations in 35 of these and network presence in 120 cities worldwide. Telia offers a broad portfolio of Internet and Ethernet services, IoT backbone services, Cloud Connect, and recently announced the first real-time transmission of 600Gb/s wavelengths in a live production network. Telia Carrier’s presence in QTS addresses growing demand for high-capacity services in Atlanta and throughout the Southeast including access to international subsea cable landing stations in Miami and Richmond, VA. Telia Carrier’s extensive fiber network and advanced network services further expands QTS’ ability to provide low latency connectivity and reinforces QTS as Atlanta’s market leader based on capacity deployed for hybrid colocation and hyperscale customers.
- CoreSite Honored by 2020 Women on Boards: CoreSite Realty Corporation has been named a Winning ‘W’ Company by 2020 Women on Boards for achieving at least 20% women on its corporate board before the year 2020. Winning ‘W’ Companies are cited in the 2020 Women on Boards (2020WOB) annual Gender Diversity Index which tracks the numbers of corporate board seats held by women among the Russell 3000 Index. As of 2018, the percentage of board seats held by women rose to 17.7%, up from 16.0% in 2017. This upward trend represents good progress, but still, half of the Russell 3000 companies have one or no women on their boards. “CoreSite was recognized by 2020 Women on Boards for having 20% of our Board members represented by women, including Jean Bua and Kelly Chambliss. Jean and Kelly are important members of our Board, and we thank them for their unique, valuable, and well-informed perspectives, expertise and experience that they bring to the CoreSite Board of Directors,” said Paul Szurek, CoreSite President and Chief Executive Officer.
- UNLV Athletics and Switch Launch Multi-Year Partnership for Sports Technology Innovation: UNLV and Switch have entered into a multi-year technology initiative focused on sports-science, data analytics and student-athlete success. This collaboration, enabled by a substantial financial commitment from Switch, is motivated by a mutual aspiration to establish Las Vegas as the world’s epicenter of sports. Switch, the global technology infrastructure corporation that develops hyperscale data center ecosystems for enterprise colocation, differentiated multi-cloud, and industry-leading telecommunications solutions, sees the relationship with UNLV Athletics as accelerating its entry into sports, and health and wellness research. Anchoring the relationship is the soon-to-be Switch Sports Science Studio located in the heart of UNLV’s planned Center for Student-Athlete Excellence. The Excellence Center will provide holistic services fundamental to the success of student-athletes with the Switch Studio to represent an interdisciplinary, leading edge context to drive sports performance.
- AWS Announces AWS IQ: Amazon Web Services has announced the general availability of AWS IQ, a new service that helps customers quickly find, engage, and do business with AWS-Certified third party experts for on-demand project work. AWS IQ offers the tools and workspace for more secure collaboration, streamlined project tracking, and integrated billing. To get started, customers simply log into AWS IQ and describe their project needs in a few sentences. They can then chat with experts to clarify details of the project, compare proposals, review expert profiles, and select the expert that best fits their needs. There are no upfront commitments required to use AWS IQ, and customers pay for completed project milestones through their existing AWS account.
- Oracle Cloud Infrastructure Momentum Accelerates with New Hires: Oracle today announced plans to hire nearly 2,000 employees worldwide to work on its growing Oracle Cloud Infrastructure business. The new roles, which include software development, cloud operations, and business operations, will support Oracle’s rapidly expanding infrastructure customer base, and come as the company rolls out new product innovations and rapidly opens cloud regions around the globe. In the past year, Oracle has opened 12 new Gen 2 Cloud regions and currently operates 16 regions globally, the fastest expansion by any major cloud provider. Continuing its rapid cadence of Oracle Gen 2 Cloud region launches, Oracle plans to add 20 more regions by the end of 2020, bringing the global footprint to 36 total regions. Eleven countries or jurisdictions will have region pairs that facilitate enterprise-class, multi-region, disaster-recovery strategies to better support those customers who want to store their data in-country or in-region.
- Edgecore Networks Cross-Contributes Designs for a Family of Cell Site Gateways Across TIP and OCP Open Communities: Edgecore Networks, the leader in open networking, has announced a series of cross-contributions of Cell Site Gateways across the Telecom Infra Project (TIP) and the Open Compute Project (OCP) communities. The contributed products enable service providers to deploy 4G and 5G services with the economics of disaggregated open network technology. The AS7316-26XB cell site gateway design and specification, that was contributed to OCP in October 2018, has now been contributed to TIP’s Open Optical & Packet Transport project group. The AS7315-27X-DCSG cell site gateway specification, which was developed as part of TIP’s Disaggregated Cell Site Gateways (DCSG) initiative and contributed to TIP, is now also being contributed to the OCP community. This family of contributed designs will accelerate service provider adoption of open networking options to meet the increasing bandwidth and service demand in the upcoming 5G rollouts.
E-mail me your stories, industry news tips, and press releases.