Check out the latest in deals, development and disruptive technology in the data center industry for November 6, 2019:
- QTS Announces Expansion of Atlanta-Metro Mega Data Center Campus: QTS Realty Trust has commenced an expansion of its Atlanta-Metro mega data center campus. The expansion will include the development of a new data center totaling more than 250,000 square feet of leasable capacity and 72 critical megawatts of incremental power capacity, adjacent to QTS’ existing mega data center. The Company expects to deliver the first phase of the new development in mid-2020. Subsequent to the end of the third quarter 2019, QTS was pleased to sign a 12 megawatt lease with an existing strategic hyperscale customer, that will anchor the new Atlanta site. The initial tranche of this customer’s commitment will commence upon the official opening of the facility in mid-2020. The significant pre-leasing in the new development is consistent with QTS’ de-risked approach to development and capital allocation.
- eStruxture Data Centers Welcomes VEERUM into Its Calgary Data Center: eStruxture Data Centers and VEERUM, a Calgary-headquartered SaaS provider, are now working together to shape the future of asset visualization and management. The two companies are proud to announce that VEERUM has selected eStruxture’s Calgary data center for its colocation and network connectivity needs. eStruxture acquired the facility from Shaw Communications in August 2019. Approximately 90% of capital developments around the world, from new infrastructure projects to improvements on existing capital assets, go overbudget, wasting $1.6 Trillion USD every year. To mitigate this problem, VEERUM offers clients the ability to create virtual 3D models of their projects through its cloud-based Asset Visualization Platform. This enables companies to analyze project progress, verify quality standards and make data-driven decisions to mitigate issues as they arise. Now, as it expands its client base at home and abroad, VEERUM has turned to eStruxture to establish a forward-looking colocation and connectivity strategy in its home city of Calgary.
- Digital Realty Closes $1 Billion Joint Venture Transaction With Mapletree: Digital Realty has closed the previously announced joint venture with Mapletree Investments and Mapletree Industrial Trust on three existing Turn-Key Flex data centers located in Ashburn, VA. The transaction values the three fully stabilized hyper-scale facilities at approximately $1.0 Billion USD. The three facilities are fully leased and are expected to generate 2020 cash net operating income of approximately $61 Million USD, representing a 6.0% cap rate. Digital Realty is retaining a 20% ownership interest in the joint venture, and Mapletree has closed on the acquisition of the remaining 80% stake for approximately $811 Million USD. Digital Realty will continue to operate and manage these facilities, and the joint venture transaction will be completely seamless from a customer perspective.
- China Mobile Pauses Silicon Valley Data Center: Light Reading is reporting that China Mobile has “put on hold its plans to build a self-owned 243,000 square-foot data center in Silicon Valley — the first in the US by a Chinese telco.” The publication sites the U.S.-China trade war as the largest contributing factor. “Two years ago, China Mobile International (CMI), the telco’s global wholesale and enterprise arm, acquired a San Jose site for $11 million and applied for approval to build a data center and five-storey office block. It said it expected the new facility, at 6320-6340 San Ignacio Avenue, would be operational by December 2020 — approximately the same time that its trans-Pacific 16,000km BtoBE cable is due to come into service. But in an email to Light Reading, CMI now says the data center is “still in the planning stage.”
- Microsoft Announces New Hybrid Cloud Capabilities with Azure Arc: Microsoft Azure has announced via a blogpost a new Hybrid Cloud offering names Azure Arc. Azure Arc is “a set of technologies that unlocks new hybrid scenarios for customers by bringing Azure services and management to any infrastructure…customers can now realize the benefits of cloud innovation, including always up-to-date data capabilities, deployment in seconds (rather than hours), and dynamic scalability on any infrastructure. Customers now have the flexibility to deploy Azure SQL Database and Azure Database for PostgreSQL Hyperscale where they need it, on any Kubernetes cluster. From the Azure portal, customers get a unified and consistent view of all their Azure data services running across on-premises and clouds and can apply consistent policy, security and governance of data across environments. Customers can get limitless scale by seamlessly spinning up additional Kubernetes clusters in Azure Kubernetes Service (AKS) if they run out of capacity on-premises.”
E-mail me your stories, industry news tips, and press releases.