At the OCP Regional Summit in Amsterdam, October 1 – 2, 2018, IHS Markit will present the findings of its European Data Center Energy Efficiency Study. The market information and analytics firm analyzed current and future state of data center efficiency in the European region, and how OCP (Open Compute Project) equipment plays a role.
According to IHS Markit, data center operators are looking to OCP equipment to help them solve energy efficiency challenges, and are seeking new vendors to help them. IHS Markit will present the complete findings of the research, as well as a case study from the London Internet Exchange (LINX) at the upcoming Regional Summit 2018 in Amsterdam.
Among the preliminary findings of the IHS Markit research:
- Improvements to address cooling, optimization, and virtualization and the use of OCP servers were among the most used efforts to improve data center efficiency
- Two-thirds of respondents are looking to OCP (Open Compute Project) equipment for energy reduction
- Systems integrators play an important role in helping organizations determine solutions to address energy efficiency
- Opportunities abound for new vendors to help them address these key issues – 65% of the respondents are considering alternative vendors to their current supply chain
- A lack of support from current vendors, legacy equipment, and budget are current barriers to faster adoption
- Research & development dollars are being deployed to efficiency research
- The industry still lacks quantification of potential savings
“Most respondents are still focusing their data center energy-efficiency efforts on improving cooling, given that it can account for up to half of a data center’s energy costs,” said Liz Cruz, associate director of data center and IoT research at IHS Markit. “But the next frontier, beyond cooling, will be to address how to use compute more efficiently – maximizing it for parallel compute-intensive applications like artificial intelligence (AI) and machine learning (ML).”
In March 2018, IHS Markit presented the results of a separate analysis and forecast of OCP adoption by non-board member companies worldwide at the annual US OCP Summit held each year in San Jose, CA. In this study, IHS Markit found that the growth rate of OCP non-board member company revenue will be in the high double digits, while the total market growth will remain in the low single digits, with significant growth and demand in the European region, due to the many demands and constraints on energy efficiency in the region.
The OCP Regional Summit held on October 1 – 2 at the RAI Exhibition and Convention Center in Amsterdam, the Netherlands, will bring together key decision makers, executives, engineers, developers, and suppliers. The event will feature:
- Keynote presentations focusing on issues specific to the European region
- Engineering Workshops featuring in-depth discoveries from project groups
- Expo Hall packed with the latest OCP hardware & software offerings
Sponsors of this OCP event include Wiwynn, ZT Systems, Inspur Systems, Rittal, Samtec, Edgecore Networks, 2CRSI, Cumulus Networks, Penguin Computing, Gigabyte, Nokia, and others. Registration for the OCP Regional Summit in Amsterdam is open now. All the details of the event can be found here: https://www.opencompute.org/summit/regional-summit-2018.
Read more at IHS Markit To Share Its European Data Center Energy Efficiency Findings At #OCP Regional Summit 2018 on Website Hosting Review.