You may have heard during our past few Public Policy and Members Meetings that we’ve been working on moving towards a “stateless architecture.” If you’re in the dark about what this means for ARIN Online as well as future downtime and upgrades, read on for a quick Q&A with Andy Newton, our Chief Engineer. 1. Can you explain what stateless architecture means in terms of ARIN’s systems? This refers to ARIN Online and how it…"What Is Stateless Architecture and What Does It Mean for ARIN?"
Guest Blog I’ve written several blogs about how IPv6 is faster, and how that results in higher Google search rankings, and that’s good for sales. My presentation at NANOG76 went into it at some depth. The question everyone asks: Why is IPv6 faster? I don’t know. So let’s look at some measurements. This is from APNIC data, using the ten largest mobile carriers in the world, where I know what transition mechanism they’re using. There…"Why is IPv6 faster?"
Last week we had an ARIN Help Desk at NANOG 76 in Washington, D.C. I was happy to be there to help attendees with their registry needs and get a sense for the most-pressing concerns for network operators. NANOG is a great community, and we’re happy to be a part of it. We had quite a few people come to us with questions that were as varied as a typical week on the phones. People…"Questions Network Operators Ask – NANOG 76"
Telus IPv6 Case Study TELUS was the first service provider in Canada to deploy IPv6 at scale for the benefit of its customers. As one of the largest telecommunications companies in Canada, TELUS has 1.9 million home Internet subscribers and 9.2 million wireless subscribers. 83% of TELUS Home Internet customers have IPv6 and the other 17% only need a firmware upgrade on their customer premise equipment (CPE). Personally, I have about ten years of experience…"Practical Steps to Accelerate IPv6 Adoption"
We’ve hit the halfway point of 2019, and we have a lot to show for it! In this edition of ARIN Bits, you’ll learn about our new Leadership Development Webinar Series, the ARIN Community Grant Program, ARIN 44 and fellowships, upcoming key election dates, our 2018 annual report, and more. If you missed any previous editions of Bits and want to catch up, you can find them on our ARIN Bits archive page. ARIN’s Leadership Development…"ARIN Bits: June 2019"
You have been using a “Whois” tool for years to look up network-related information at ARIN. (The term “Whois” is a commonly-used term that can have multiple meanings, but we’ve been using it to mean a service ARIN provides for you to get data, such as name and contact information, about people who register a resource like an IP address, ASN, or domain.) There have been some recent changes at ARIN to our search services,…"ARIN’s RDAP and Whois Services: Getting the Information You Need"
We’re heading into the dog days of summer, and for a lot of people, that means taking it easy for a couple months. But here at ARIN HQ, we’re as busy as ever! We’re currently in the midst of planning our next three Public Policy and Members Meetings: ARIN 44: 31 October – 1 November 2019 in Austin, TX ARIN 45: 26-29 April 2020 in Louisville, KY ARIN 46: 22-23 October 2020 in Seattle, WA…"From Austin to Louisville to Seattle: We Can’t Do It Without You!"
San Joaquin Valley Library System IPv6 Case Study The San Joaquin Valley Library System (SJVLS) is a ten jurisdiction, joint powers agency in central California, and we are IPv6-ready. We have around 10% of the public libraries in the state all connected to a common network. The whole network is run by three network engineers, three librarians and a manager. We get our connectivity from CENIC, California’s state-wide education network. They provide us with redundant…"Library Framework Setup for IPv6"
An emergent IPv4 transfer market and IPv4 address scarcity have led to increased attempts to fraudulently obtain IP addresses. In late 2018, ARIN uncovered an elaborate scheme to defraud the Internet community of approximately 735,000 IPv4 addresses, and ARIN responded in accordance with community-developed policies and through legal means pursuant to those policies. ARIN is committed to protecting the resources entrusted to us. We recently issued a press release regarding the outcome of a landmark…"Taking a Hard Line on Fraud"
NTT is a global Tier 1 provider. We provide IP transit up to 100g and DDoS Protection Services. We have a presence in the APNIC, ARIN, RIPE NCC, and LACNIC regions. Our network is 100% implemented with IPv6. IPv6 is a necessity We have been providing IPv6 since 2000. The decision to deploy came from our operations team and management that maintained the backbone 20 years ago. There are two reasons we adopted IPv6: IPv4 depletion drove…"Tier 1 Providers Must Offer IPv6"