Check out the latest in deals, development and disruptive technology in the data center industry for August 26, 2019:
- Cisco Likes to Shift to Healthy Chunk of Compute to Cloud, Close Several Data Centers: According to a Wall Street Journal interview with the CIO of Cisco Systems, , the tech giant is investigating the possibility of shutting down several data centers in favor of transferring more data to public cloud services. “As technologists, we have a huge responsibility to make sure we’re always thinking about how to optimize power consumption,” she said. “Environmental issues and cost issues sometimes go hand in hand.” The story continue, “Cisco currently uses undisclosed public-cloud providers for some data. The company said it has 22 data centers world-wide and it plans to reduce that number by 30% within about five years.”
- Global Media Company Selects Zayo for Connectivity Between Key European Hubs: A global media company has selected Zayo to deliver connectivity between two key production hubs in Amsterdam and London. The new service will deliver high-bandwidth, diverse connectivity between the two sites meeting the global media company’s specified low latency needs. This will support its technology transformation, enabling greater generation and access to content from its wide range of live sports broadcasts. As part of the deal, Zayo will extend its network reach to Hilversum Media Park, which is located just outside Amsterdam and is home to a number of national, European and global media companies. In addition, Zayo will also extend and upgrade its network reach in Rotterdam, the second-largest city in the Netherlands and a key hub for the logistics and petrochemical industry.
- Cyxtera Adds HPE ProLiant Servers to CXD On-Demand Data Center Platform: Cyxtera Technologies has added HPE ProLiant servers as an on-demand compute option through its Cyxtera Extensible Data Center (CXD) platform. CXD gives customers point-and-click provisioning over a range of connectivity and infrastructure services from Cyxtera and a global partner ecosystem. Available across Cyxtera’s CXD-enabled global data centers, CXD Compute offerings, including Nutanix-powered HCI nodes as well as the new bare-metal offering, allow customers to quickly provision compute capacity on-demand to augment existing colocation environments, rapidly expand into new markets or build private cloud environments.
- DataBank Acquisition of Lightbound Receives Regulatory Approval: Last week, DataBank received FCC approval for its acquisition of Lightbound, an Indianapolis-based provider of colocation, Internet, voice, network and cloud services. This FCC approval clears the path for the transaction to close in the weeks ahead and represents an important milestone in DataBank’s continued expansion into emerging edge markets. Originally announced on December 17, 2018, the Lightbound acquisition will add 73,000 Gross Square Feet of colocation space and 9.5MW of installed UPS power to the DataBank portfolio.
- Splunk to Acquire Cloud Monitoring Leader SignalFx: Splunk will acquire SignalFx, a SaaS leader in real-time monitoring and metrics for cloud infrastructure, microservices and applications. Splunk is already a leader in ITOM and an AIOps pioneer and, upon close, will be a leader in observability and APM for organizations at every stage of their cloud journey, from cloud-native apps to homegrown on-premises applications. This breadth of innovation will help customers deliver cost savings, increased revenue and an improved customer experience, and firmly places Splunk as the vendor most qualified to deliver these outcomes across the entire suite of enterprise applications at any scale. Under the terms of the agreement, Splunk will acquire SignalFx for a total purchase price of approximately $1.05 billion, subject to adjustment, to be paid approximately 60% in cash and 40% in Splunk common stock.
E-mail me your stories, industry news tips, and press releases.
The post CAPRE’s Data Center & Cloud Infrastructure Round Up for Aug 26, 2019 appeared first on CAPRE MEDIA | CAPRE EVENTS.